Abundantly Autumn – Filling your home with colour, cushions and cake!
As the leaves begin to fall and the mornings have that coolness about them, we’re all looking for ways to bring the warmth indoors. The arrival of a new season is the perfect opportunity to dress up your space with some new pieces and give some love back to those much-used areas. Whether adding a throw to your morning coffee spot or layering up your sofa with some new season cushions, it’s all about creating a relaxing environment to nestle into.
As well as keeping cosy, a drop in temperature calls for comfort food and the new Amara dinnerware range could not have come at a better time. Recipe curator Dane McGregor from Baker Gatherer has shared this deliciously fudgy Autumn Apple and Almond Cake with us, the perfect way to warm up on a cool day paired with a dollop of yoghurt and a cup of coffee in your new Amara mug. Find the recipe below. If you make it, tag us @noodnz – we can’t wait to see your creations!
Autumn Apple and Almond Cake
An easy to make fudgy Autumn cake recipe with light flavours of almond and apple.
430g Plain Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
½ Teaspoon Salt
350ml Vegetable or Canola Oil
330g Caster Sugar
80g Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 ½ Teaspoon Almond Essence
400g Diced Apple (Approx 3 Large Apples)
30g Sliced Almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°c bake, then grease and/or line the bottom and sides of a 20cm round baking tin and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the oil and both sugars and beat with a hand-held mixer until combined.
- Add to this the eggs, one at a time and beating for about a minute between each egg. Once incorporated, beat in the vanilla extract and almond essence.
- To this same bowl, sift in the flour, baking soda and salt and beat through the sugar and egg mixture. Give a final mix through with a spatula, scraping down the sides.
- Peel and dice apples into 1cm pieces and then fold through the cake mixture. Pour mixture into prepared baking tin and evenly sprinkle sliced almonds over top.
- Bake for about 1 hour 45 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. NOTE: Cover the cake with tinfoil about 30 minutes through to prevent top from darkening too much. When baked through, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
- Slice and serve warm or cold with plain yoghurt or ice cream. Enjoy this easy autumn apple and almond cake.